Faith in Action: An opportunity for your community
The American Relief Agency for the Horn of Africa (ARAHA) is a 501c (3) tax-exempt humanitarian organization based in Minnesota. We serve one of the most devastated regions in the world: The Horn of Africa. More specifically, we work in Somalia, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Sudan.
Congregations like yours are essential to our ability to do life-saving work for our brothers and sisters in humanity. ARAHA can give your congregation a direct link to those in need and an easy way to confidently help the people of East Africa. Donors trust you as a leader to choose only the most worthy organizations to visit your place of worship. Therefore, we would like to provide you with an opportunity to partner with ARAHA through our Faith in Action campaign.
What is the Faith in Action Campaign?
Usually, the relationship between a faith-based community and a humanitarian organization ends once the organization’s fundraiser is over. Neither the management of the place of worship nor the congregation will see or hear from the organization again—unless it is to request another fundraiser—and they don’t know what happened to the money they donated, or how it might be used to make a difference.
But with a Faith in Action partnership, your community takes ownership of its efforts, and will know exactly how the money collected is spent.
How does it work?
You choose a development project that your community supports. Previous examples include digging water wells, sponsoring orphans, or declaring a sister village in the Horn region and helping inhabitants of that village improve their quality of life. The project can last for years, and your community may choose representatives to visit the Horn and see the results of their hard work. Together, you and ARAHA review location, cost, and other important details of the project. Your congregation will name the project and introduce the partnership to the community. You are also free to decide how to fund the project; using a zakat fund or having ARAHA conduct a fundraiser are viable options.
Once the project is completed, ARAHA will provide a full written report, along with pictures and video clips taken at the site of the project, to your faith-based organization. We will offer an opportunity for your representative to visit the project site. We will also give a presentation to your congregation to show them the positive impact of their contributions on the lives of those in need.
Types of projects
We offer a variety of project types, and you may choose one or all of them.
- Digging water wells
- Providing education (building schools, supplying books, etc.)
- Supporting self-reliance/income generating projects
- Funding food distribution
- Sponsoring orphans who lack providers
Benefits of becoming a Faith in Action partner
- Choice: Your management will decide on the project that best suits the community you have. You also control the size and duration of the commitment you make.
- Recognition: You can name the project in honor of your place of worship or community.
- Peace of mind: You and your congregation know exactly where your money is going.
- Real results: You will see tangible projects being completed and can proudly say, “This is our contribution to improving humanity.”
- Documentation: A full report with pictures and video clips will verify the completion of the project.
- Participation: Based on the size of the project, ARAHA can arrange a visit for a representative of your choice to visit the site of the project and even participate in its opening ceremony.
ARAHA has been working in the Horn of Africa for over a dozen years. We have fed people, built water wells, constructed schools, and provided families with opportunities to support themselves through education and income-generating projects.
ARAHA is a trusted, reliable, and capable partner in the Horn of Africa. The independent evaluator Charity Navigator has ranked ARAHA among the top 14 percent of all American charities in its level of transparency and accountability. The Charities Review Council has also awarded ARAHA its seal for meeting standards of accountability and transparency. Additionally, ARAHA partners with other major relief organizations—including Life for Relief and Development, Zakat Foundation, Baitulmaal, and Hidaya Foundation—who have endorsed ARAHA’s competency in the Horn of Africa.
We hope you will consider joining ARAHA in this exciting partnership opportunity that will benefit not just your place of worship and your community, but also those most in need.
ARAHA looks forward to working with you as a Faith in Action partner.