Ethiopia is one the countries in which ARAHA’s Field office is located. We have numerous projects we implement in this area such as Water wells, food distribution, and Orphan sponsorship.
Amarigna, Oromigna, Tigrigna , Somaligna , Guaragigna, Sidamigna Hadiyigna , othe, English (major foreign language taught in schools) (1994 census)
Total population: 55.41 years (CIA)
Male: 52.92 years
Female: 57.97 years (2009 est.)
Degree of risk:
- Food or waterborne diseases: bacterial and protozoal diarrhea, hepatitis A and E, and typhoid fever.
- Vector borne diseases: malaria.
- Respiratory disease: meningococcal meningitis.
- Animal contact disease: rabies.
- Water contact disease: schistosomiasis (2009).
- 6.4 million People are critically affected by; malnutrition, Acute Watery Diarrhea, floods, poor access to health care services and critical water and sanitation shortage(UNICEF).
Current Environmental Issue
deforestation; overgrazing; soil erosion; desertification; water shortages in some areas from water-intensive farming and poor management.
- Literacy rate 42.7%
- Public education is compulsory and free at the primary level
- 31% of primary-school-age children were enrolled in school (Encyclopedia of Nations)
- One of the lowest primary education enrolment rates in the world (WFP)
- The World Food Program estimates 38% of children under the age of five are underweight. Additionally, 46% of the country’s population is undernourished.
- 4.6 million People are in urgent need of food assistance (WFP).
- 5.7 million people are affected by drought every year(UNICEF).
Threats to food security
- Frequent drought.
- Soil Erosion.
- Declining world prices of cash crops.
- GDP: $13.3 billions.
- 23% of population lives under $1/day.